Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A Day in the Life of a Red Guard


I woke up this morning and the first thing I saw Mao Zedong’s, long may he live, benevolent shining face. I washed up, ate a meager breakfast, as Chairman Mao wishes so that we may live frugally, and red the words of the Great Chairman Mao from the Little Red Book, before I headed off to my work as a Red Guard. Chairman Mao values a hard worker, so I worked very hard. After a hard day re-educating the less faithful and harassing the bourgeoisie, I finished work and walked to the nearest theatre, to see the latest wonders Chairman Mao has wrought. I saw “A Song of Triumph for Chairman Mao’s Proletarian Line on Public Health”, and left the theatre with a renewed sense of appreciation for Chairman Mao and my fellow Red Guards. I saw several people scaring sparrows on the way home, and rushed to join them. That night, I went home with a new string of sparrows, and I ate a small dinner before studying Mao’s Little Red book before bed. The last thing I saw was Mao’s benevolent face above me. It had been a good day.


-Anna, Thea, Virginia

No comments:

Post a Comment